Quimper is located in Brittany region of France bordering the Atlantic Ocean, about 6 hours Northwest of Paris. Quimper (pronounced "cam-pare") is the ancient capital of La Cornouaille, Brittany’s most traditional region, and has a distinctive Breton character. Shops and flags celebrating the region's Celtic heritage can be found throughout the city. Quimper was originally settled during Roman times. By AD 495, the town had become a Bishopric. It subsequently became the capital of the counts of Cornouailles. In the 11th century, it was united with the Duchy of Brittany. During the civil wars of the 14th century, the town suffered considerable ruin. In 1364, the duchy passed to the House of Montfort.
The town has a rustic atmosphere with footbridges spanning the rivers that flow through it. The Church of Locmaria, a Romanesque structure, dates from the eleventh century. The Cathedral of Saint-Corentin, with its Gothic-style façade, was constructed between the 13th and 16th centuries. It is the oldest Gothic structure in lower Brittany. Its two towers are 250 feet tall; its spires were added in the 19th century. The 15th century stained glass windows are exceptional. The cathedral is dedicated to Quimper's first bishop, Corentin.
To the cathedral's west are the pedestrianized streets of Vieux Quimper with a wide array of crêperies, half-timbered houses and shops. Near the Episcopal palace, which now holds the Musée départemental Breton (devoted to regional history, archaeology, ethnology and economy) are the ruins of the town's 15th century walls. Nearby is the Musée des Beaux-Arts. The museum has a nineteenth century façade and an entirely rebuilt interior. It houses a collection of 14th to 21st century paintings that includes works by Boucher, Corot, Oudry and Rubens along with canvases by such Pont-Aven School painters as Bernard, Denis, Lacombe, Maufra and Paul Sérusier.
The town's best known product is Quimper faïence pottery. It has been made here since 1690, using bold provincial designs of Jean-Baptiste Bousquet. The town’s eating establishments boast some of the best crêpes and cider in Brittany. The town has also been known for copper and bronze work, food items, galvanized ironware, hosiery, leather, paper and woollen goods.
QUIMPER & ITS FAIENCE
The tin-glazed handpainted French faience known as Quimper Pottery, pronounced “cam-pair” has been manufactured in
Quimper, a town in Brittany, France for over 300 years. The pottery adopted its name from the town of Quimper where potter Jean Baptiste Bousquet built his kilns in the Quimper area of Locmaria in 1685 and was given a royal manufacturing license by King Louis XIV. Although the area of Locmaria in Quimper has been associated with pottery as far back as the Gallo-Roman era, Bousquet is credited with being the founder of "Quimper Pottery".
His firm was known as HB Quimper.
In 1772, a rival firm was founded by Francoise Eloury known as Porquier.
A third firm formed in 1778 by Guillaume Dumaine which was known
as HR or Henriot Quimper. The
pottery made by the three companies was similar featuring the
Breton peasants and sea and flower motifs.
In 1913, Porquier and Henriot merged with HB joining the others
in 1968. The company was sold to a US family in 1984. More
changes followed and in 2011 Jean Pierre Le Goff purchased the
company and changed the name to Henriot Quimper.
Courtesy of Wikipedia & Henriot